We’re familiar with identifying many molds in Central Virginia buildings, basements, attics and crawl spaces. The most common indoor molds are:
- Alternaria: This common allergen causes hay fever and other reactions. The mold is green, gray or black.
- Aspergillus: This gray mold causes coughing, chest pain and fever. It aggravates asthma and other conditions. Aspergillus can cause severe problems, like a growth of fungus in your body.
- Cladosporium: This green, brown or black mold isn’t usually harmful.
- Penicillium: This grows in insulation and moisture-damaged home interiors. It spreads quickly. It can irritate your sinuses and lungs. Penicillium can be hard for a homeowner to identify, but a mold inspector can diagnose it.
- Trichoderma: This is off-white at first, and grey-green over time. It grows quickly, but usually doesn’t harm people.
Even if these molds don’t cause severe illnesses, they are irritants, especially to people who are allergic to them. If a building contains mold, it must undergo a mold removal process for the health and safety of the occupants. Call ACI at 434-242-6545 for mold removal in Charlottesville, VA right away.